Wednesday 13 March 2013

Sewing box - before and after...

before I had my accident, this is what I was working on, I've only just been able to transfer the photos and share ... I picked up this 1930s sewing box the other day and, although it's a bit modern for my taste, I know a lot of people like Art Deco and it is an incredibly useful piece of furniture with its deep side pockets, drawer and shelf. So it had 50% of the requirements to be useful and beautiful, only the beauty to add then...


first it needed a really thorough clean and replacement of the hinges which were broken, and some general fixing and tidying...


...then I painted it with an undercoat of duck egg and a top coat of old white, distressed, waxed and added an appropriate Graphics Fairy image. I used the freezer paper method of transfer for the first time and it worked really well. I made sure to slightly wet the surface, tape the paper in place and then burnish really thoroughly until I was happy with the transfer...


here's the result...


the finished, shabby, article...



 and the inside where I replaced some of the fabric with a co-ordinating vintage Laura Ashley fabric....



let me know if you like it?

2 comments:

  1. Kerry,
    You did a great job. You sewing box looks amazing. I have never tried the freezer paper transfer method, but, I think I will now. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Trisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks trisha, it was hard to find the paper here in UK but i was really pleased with how easy it was...

      Delete

Your comments are always welcome, please join the conversation!