Sunday 20 May 2012

Laurel wreath box....

.....okay, sometimes things just don't go to plan and here's one of those things: 
I'd seen lots of examples of images transferred with ink markers and thought I'd try it. So I took this pretty little painted box and used one of my favourite Graphics Fairy images, the laurel wreath. I transferred the image by just taping the print to the top and rubbing over the back of the print so that the ink from the printing would give me guide on the surface and then got my new, specially purchased pen and started work....


...it all seemed to be going well but just wouldn't dry, two days later and it was still wet so I sprayed it with clear lacquer which dried perfectly....except over the image! In desperation I tried to wipe the whole surface clean and ended up with a slightly smudged and rather faded look which, all things considered, is a pretty good outcome - it could have been so much worse!


....so, what have I learned? Either the paint or the ink was wrong somehow. I'll try again using Annie Sloane chalk paint which should be much more absorbent and I'll go looking for a pen that is definitely permanent on all surfaces! 
People often ask me where I learned the techniques I use - did I go on courses or read books? No, I just make it up as I go along and make lots of mistakes - the best way to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome, please join the conversation!